"For you created my inmost being;

you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you when I was made

in the secret place, when I was woven together

in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my

unformed body; all the days ordained for me

were written in your book

before one of them came to be."

Psalm 139: 13-16









Thursday, March 14, 2013

Surgery Plans


Quick update. Meghan has been sick the last week and a half, her first real illness, and the last couple days have been pretty hard on her. She’s had a high fever, and to top it all off, she pulled out the NG tube for the first time today. I tried 3 times to get it back in, and each attempt was met with malfunction. First it was in too far, then she threw it up, and finally, it was coiled in her throat. I threw in the towel. Her poor little cheek needs a rest from the adhesive anyway.
Thankfully, she won’t have the NG tube much longer.  Meghan is going to have surgery in 2 weeks. Our neurosurgeon reviewed her case with several other surgeons who feel that Meghan needs to have the surgery to untether her spinal cord. We hope that this will prevent damage, and it might even help one of her brain malformations, the Chiari, to improve. Since she was going to have the g-tube eventually anyway, the surgeons decided to coordinate her procedures. Once the neurosurgeon is finished, the general surgeon will do the surgery for her g-tube, with our neurosurgeon there to supervise the movement of her neck. It’s going to be a big day for Meg. She will have to lie flat for about 2 days afterward, and we anticipate being in the hospital for about 3 days.
If Meghan is on your prayer list, please pray that she is well before surgery, that the two procedures will go smoothly, and that she will be protected from infection. There is risk of infection with both procedures, unfortunately more than the average child because of her shunt.  We know that none of this is a surprise to God, and no matter how anxious it makes us as parents, He is sovereign.
I am optimistic that once this is over, we might see some improvement in her ability to use her legs, and maybe catch a break for the summer and get back to therapy and the usual appointments. I am clinging to that optimism and to His hand. Walking through this is hard as a parent, but I know that perseverance brings forth a completeness that He intends for us. We will be there to carry Meghan through, because He is leading, and wherever Meghan is led, there is sure to be joy.

“He tends his flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young.”
Isaiah 40:11

Addie helping Meg with some fine motor skills!

Somebody forgot this was "work"....

Did I mention she needs a break from the adhesive??

My sweet girls:)

No comments:

Post a Comment