"For you created my inmost being;

you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you when I was made

in the secret place, when I was woven together

in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my

unformed body; all the days ordained for me

were written in your book

before one of them came to be."

Psalm 139: 13-16









Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Immeasurably More

Tuesday we flew on faith. Friday we returned home with a testimony to Gods faithfulness. 

We arrived at the children's hospital in Salt Lake City on Wednesday. After getting the final details of her MRI worked out, we got her checked in for the procedure. Her slot was later in the day, and despite not having had her normal feedings she got through the waiting process like a trooper! One bonus about being at this hospital was a surgery waiting area with kids toys and games in abundance! 
After they got Meghan off to sleep, we got to met the surgeon who has been following her X-rays for 2 years now. He reviewed her previous images with us and explained her specific deformities in detail. The biggest concern was the stability of her neck at the level of C1 and C2 (the top of the spine that articulates with the skull base). Her bones did not form completely in that area, and on the X-Ray appear as if they are moving more than they should- the danger being that she could become paralyzed with a fall or other injury that might only cause someone with normal anatomy a good case of whiplash. He explained that often when these bones aren't formed, the ligaments that hold them together never form. He measured and discussed the potential need for surgery, definitely by the age of 4. At this point I am hanging on every word, trying to absorb all the details, my stomach churning at what he described as "lack of structural integrity". We then met the orthotist that would fit Meghan for the cervical collar to protect her in the meantime. After getting the most important set of images, the views of her spinal cord with her neck flexed and extended, he walked us down to MRI and we were able to look on as Meg was being scanned. His next words?

"We're good"- I traveled almost 2,000 miles to hear those words.

At this point I can no longer see through tears of joy, and RELIEF! If I wouldn't have knocked over the anesthesiologist in the process, I might have hugged the surgeon. The orthotist who was standing by to make a cast of her neck shook my hand, and headed off. I am still in shock!

Despite her crazy anatomy, in both flexion and extension her cord was not compromised. Although we can't see it, the assumption is that there is cartilage or a ligament present that is giving her the necessary stability. The scoliosis caused by her hemivertebrae is still present and will be monitored, but he said that after a few more sets of X-rays, if she makes it to age 4 without showing more signs of instability (there is increased risk with growth), then she will likely not need surgery for the instability itself. 

We came prepared for the worst, and left with better news than we could have hoped. I am so thankful that among many challenges ahead for Meghan, this may not have to be one of them! What we had been so worried about for so long was taken and quieted in a way that could have only come from God. It's so like my nature to worry, and fret, and try and control the things I am afraid of. Sometimes our worry is warranted, and we have to rely on our belief in the sovereignty of God, but what a sweet reminder that so often my worry is wasted energy. Radiologists, orthopedists, and neurosurgeons so convinced of her instability, and an outcome that was so much more than we could have hoped for. Immeasurably more. It's a reminder of His faithfulness, and His hand on her little life. He formed her, He knit her together, and it's His name we praise.

"Now to him who is able to do 
immeasurably more
 than all we ask or imagine, 
according to his power that is at work within us" 
Ephesians 3:20









No comments:

Post a Comment